It’s been FOREVER since I’ve blogged, so I’m starting off on a new foot for my birthday month! Being one step closer to thirty has made me reprioritize and figure out how to better plan out my life. Which meant being more dedicated to my blog!
So to kick off this new week, we’re back to a #MaskMonday featuring the YesTo Ultra Hydrating Mud Mask from Ulta Beauty (buy it here). This mask is great for a few reasons: (1) It’s one of 3 in the package! (2) It’s hydrating and (3) It’s already made so no work required!
It’s easy to do this mask, which is at the top of the 3-pack.
- Wash your face to get off any make up or residual oils
- Apply the mask, which you can squeeze out of the package (it can get messy)
- Wait 10 minutes
- Wash off with warm water
A few highlights of this mask:
- It’s super light
- Your face feels super soft when you take it off
- It doesn’t feel hard or constricting when it dries
A few negatives:
- Because it’s a ‘cocoa’ type, it kinda smells like suntan lotion
- It makes a super mess trying to get out of the package.
Overall, this is a great mask to try if you’re a beginner or if you want to feel softer skin. Not sure what the long-term benefit is, but I had dry skin which does feel a bit more supple now. I would give it an 8.0/10.
Somehow it’s another Monday, I don’t understand why this keeps happening. And today was one of the Monday-est Mondays in a long time… The weather here is all over the place and my skin is DYING. Between the freezing cold and now using my Mia every day, my skin is completely freaking out. So I’m thankful for this L’Oréal Detox and Brighten Clay Mask (buy it HERE). I’ve been using this mask for a few months now and can confidently say, it’s one of my favorites.
- It goes deep into your pores – You can see in the picture below that this mask really gets into your skin.
- It’s pretty light – It goes on smoothly and sits comfortably on your skin. It doesn’t feel super heavy like some other clay masks.
- Your skin feels soft afterwards – Unlike some of the paper masks or sticky masks, this makes your skin feel super soft afterwards.
- It comes off like a charm – Besides requiring you to give your sink a good rinse afterwards, it does come off easily.
- When it dries, it’s very stiff – Don’t expect to be able to move your face without breaking cracks in the mask. Nose breathing is vital.
- The jar can dry out quickly – The glass jar comes with a white cap under the screw cap. This is the best way to keep it from dying out.
This mask feels comfortable and is definitely a good one to try if you’re new to Masks. Plus, the price tag is good since I got at around 8-10 full facial masks from the jar.
I would say 8/10.
Stay tuned for my review on a great mask for breakouts next week by ControlCorrective.
Happy Monday everyone. After a whirlwind weekend, I was actually really looking forward to tonight’s mask to help relax as I watched The Bachelor. (If you’ve been watching, can you believe the whining already??)
Anyway… Tonight I tried another one of the Yes To masks. If you remember, I tried a paper version of their masks in review 1 that I wasn’t in love with, so I figured I’d give their clay version a try. I am a big fan of clay masks in general because I feel like they really hydrate your skin. I’ve also been using my new Clarisonic Mia 1, so I wanted something less shocking to my skin.
I decided on the Cucumbers Calming Mud Mask (order it HERE or find it at your local Ulta Beauty). It comes in a little pouch, which I felt like you really needed to rip completely open to get all of the mask out.
A few highlights:
- It’s really easy to apply – The mud in the package is pretty easy to get out if you pull the entire package open (see picture). But the mask goes on smoothly. It
- My skin feels more hydrated than I thought – I definitely can feel the hydration, which is great. I was worried that I would want to put lotion on my face since it’s so dry out, but my skin is keeping the moisture in from the mask.
- I could move my face when I used it! – This is huge. Some clay masks harden to the point it hurts, but this one didn’t.
Some things I didn’t love:
- The Smell – It wasn’t offensive, but it didn’t have that fun cucumber smell like I assumed it would.
- It took a LOT of water to wash off – Most masks wash off with a bit of warm water and some rubbing. This one took a bit more effort, which was surprising because it didn’t feel that thick on my skin.
Overall, this is a great mask for beginners or someone who wants something low maintenance. Something to keep in mind is it costs around $4, but you only get one application. Some of the other mask types that come in jars can seem a bit more expensive, but your price per mask is lower.
I would say, overall, I give this mask a 7/10.
Next week, I’m going to review one of my go-to masks for Spot Treatment!
We all know that water is good for you. And, if you’re like me (and most people out there) you don’t get as much a day as you should (no, wine and coffee don’t count, as much as I wish they did).
According to The Mayo Clinic, everyone’s hydration needs are different, but on average, women need about 2.7 liters (91 oz) and men need about 3.7 liters (125 oz). That seems a lot, especially since most people subscribe to the 8 cups of 8 ounces per day. However, when you assume you’re awake for 16+ hours, that’s around 6 oz an hour. I don’t know about you, but I can pound a 12 oz coffee in that time no problem.
So how do we reach that magic goal? How do we stay motivated to keep drinking and staying hydrated? Here’s some tips!
- Buy a water bottle – While it would seem to make sense from a tracking standpoint to keep using reusable bottles, it’s not very practical (or environmentally friendly). You can buy reusable water bottles in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. Some of my favorites are linked below (yes, I own a lot of water bottles). Also, by having a water bottle, you’re more likely to use it (think return on investment here everyone!)
- Remember that some foods have water in them – They can help with your goals without feeling like it! Who doesn’t want an excuse to eat some watermelon?
- Diffuse – What’s better than cucumber mint water? Put a pitcher of water with fruits or herbs in the fridge overnight to diffuse. These tasty “treats” can help break up the monotony.
- Add Lemon/Lime – These get a number all their own, because it’s so easy! Cut half of a lemon or lime and put it in your water bottle to give your water a citrus flair.
- Try a SodaStream – I have one and I love it. I used to buy bottles and cans of seltzer water. Now I can make my own! And SodaStream has bottles in different sizes!
The biggest thing is to make a routine and try everything in your power to stick to it.
What tips or tricks do you have to keep yourself hydrated? Share them below!
My Favorite Water Bottles
Unicorn Magic Corkcicle
Tervis Goldfish Bottle
Polar Spin Bottle
This Might Be Wine Water Bottle
In keeping with New Years goals, I am starting a new segment here on the blog called MaskMonday. I will be doing some video trials of some of the top masks around to help keep my skin supple and hydrated during these winter months.
This is keeping with my January goal of being more consistent here on the blog. Remember, small goals rather than lofty resolutions are the way to go!
What Mask? YES TO Detoxifying Charcoal Paper Mask
Where to Get It? Ulta Beauty sells this mask. Buy it online here
How Long? The mask takes about a minute to put on and has to stay on for 10 minutes to feel the full effect. Because it’s paper, you just take it out of the package and go!
This mask was really easy to use and if you’re pressed for time, a good option. I’m a big fan of clay masks and this was the first paper mask I’ve ever used, so I’m not sure if I didn’t like it because it’s different, or if it’s the actual mask. I liked how easy it was to apply and how you can feel it tingling (the directions say that means it works). However, I didn’t love how when you take the mask off, your face feels sticky. I’m not sure if that’s the materials in it, or just the residue. About an hour later, my face still feels a a little sticky, even though the liquid has all dried off.
Overall Rating? 5.5-6/10
Next week we’re going to do a live trial of a L’Oreal clay mask.
Do you have any of your favorite masks you want me to try? Leave me a comment!